Thursday 16 June 2011

Lessons in Dealing with Rejection

So the biggest issue we face as artists is rejection of our work. For acting, particularly actresses, this happens way more often than we'd like.

This post comes out of the fact that I just applied for a PhD in Drama (so that I could maybe try and teach someday and earn money while auditioning. The rejection email was a wonderful, carefully written email, designed so as not to completely crush me--which is why I applied to that particular university in the first place! But it was yet another rejection. I've had many and most of them directly involve my craft, which as most actors will know, can be held very close to the heart. Its easy to take it personally.

But we can't. We must carry on. The best thing about living in England is this "chin up" attitude. The saying "keep calm and carry on". Its all very British--and its all very good at getting me through these millions of rejections. OK it may not be millions, but it is discouraging. The more I don't find something, whether it be an audition that I finally pass or a part time job to get me through (even a full time job at this point would be fine as long as its somewhere where I could network and not working at McDonalds for 40 hours a week), the more discouraged I get. Its downright depressing.

Not to mention that time when I DID pass an audition for a student film and filmed the first scene and they called me the next day to say they'd gone in another direction even though they were impressed with my work. And I know I didn't do badly. I did my best, which is pretty damn good. I was very professional. Maybe I was too professional and they were, well, students...I don't know. They probably went with a friend instead. But I know I did well. And it was painful. I didn't audition for weeks after that. (That's bad by the way. But its where I discovered "chin up" and "keep calm carry on" so it was probably necessary.)

I'm also aware I'm not the only one who feels this way. Its hard for everyone who starts out. But I've resolved to find a bit of income and then carry on. No PhD? No problem. I can still create art. I know what I'm doing. I've been involved in theatre work since I was a little kid. It may not have been professional but it did get me through life and I understand what I'm doing. Its probably the only place I DO know what I'm doing. I've let rejection get to me before and I've come through the other side.

So for anyone out there who is struggling to deal with rejection--be it in the theatre or even out of it...

Keep Calm and Carry On! (You'll get there someday.)

3 comments:

  1. It's not just 'chin up' in Britain, it's 'bottoms up too'. - Nicola xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hell yes. I definitely feel you on this point. Nothing feels worse than getting rejected by the umpteenth publisher or agent. Because your work is just not 'right for them at this time' while, of course Katie Price's 14th biography is. Keep Raveclaw and Carry On! :)

    ReplyDelete